Maybe you love baths, but you haven’t discovered all the benefits of this relaxing task.
National Bubble Bath day is January 8th, and a great reason to learn the excellent health benefits of soaking in a tub.
There is a reason that the practice of bathing has been going on for thousands of years. Baths can impact your mood just the same as physical exercise among a number of other positive benefits. Relaxing, cleansing, and healing? It sounds like an all-around win.
10 Reasons Why Baths Are Great For Your Health
1. Baths can elevate your mood, reducing stress and anxiety. As your nervous system adjusts to the warming effect of the water you are submerged in, you begin to experience lowered stress levels.
2. Baths taken at night time can help you to fall asleep better. Making a nightly bath part of your routine will help you relax and wind down before it’s time for some z’s.
3. A Hot Bath Can Help Relieve Muscle Pain. If your muscles ache or feel tight, spend time in a hot bath to loosen them. You will start to feel better as the hot water increases blood circulation and releases the muscles.
4. Baths Can Make Your Heart Healthy. Warm baths enhance blood circulation in all parts of your body as it reduces blood thickness and help the vessels perform better. Check with your physician on your particular heart issue before taking hot baths.
5. Baths can treat menstrual cramps. A hot water bath will ease cramps by relaxing muscles and bringing blood to your pelvic area.
6. Baths Can Soothe Irritated Skin and heal wounds. Don’t let itchy skin drive you up the wall. Take a cold bath instead. If a rash causes the itch, choose a hot bath as hot water can also relieve your skin. If you have minor open wounds, hot water can speed up the healing process.
7. Baths can burn calories. Soaking in 100-degree water for an hour burns as many calories as a 30-minute walk. Your body works hard to balance the temperature while in warm water, thus becoming a calorie burner.
8. Baths can help reduce the symptoms caused by a cold or flu. If you relax in a bathtub filled with water up to your neck, both lung capacity and oxygen will improve. Warm water makes your heart beat faster, and your body takes in more oxygen. Soaking in warm water can also help clear up clogged sinuses.
9. Taking a bath can regulate your core body temperature. After relaxing in cold water on a hot day, it can make you sweat less and be more comfortable. Even a short period in a hot bath on a cold day can reduce chills.
10. Baths can help to reduce inflammation. Inflammation occurs when your immune system triggers a response when there isn’t anything it needs to fight. Arthritis, joint stiffness, and even some autoimmune disorders are all sources of inflammation that can also cause pain in the body. A warm bath can help reduce inflammation, especially when you add a cup or two of Epsom salts. Read more benefits of Epsom salt baths here.
When you have to make a choice between taking a shower or a bath, do as the Romans did, and step into the tub. Let relaxation settle in and let your cares and worries melt away.
Need more ideas that will help you take care of yourself? Read this blog post.